Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Switching Apartments (Apartment Relocation)

I can't think of the official term they use for it right now, but basically if you realize that you can't live with the people you've been placed with, then you can pay a fee of $50 to be moved to another apartment that had someone either self-terminate or get terminated for various reasons. (If you make this decision before two months, I believe it is, then you don't have to pay the fee).

Let me just tell you, you probably won't WANT to move, because if the living situation is bad enough to make you want to move, then why would you pay $50 to live with the same kind of people, but in a different place? But don't think that, because not everyone's the same. Not everyone wants to party every night, and not everyone wants to stay inside and read. You just have to decide if moving is worth the risk. With me, I lived with 7 other girls (at the time of move-in it was an option between one room and four rooms) and.. well, it just didn't work out. I tried, but I wouldn't be able to deal with it until August. So I paid the fee and moved (Housing gives you options of what's open currently, ie: one bedroom, two bedroom, but doesn't tell you where the apartment is, so you won't get to meet your future roommates before paying the fee, unfortunately).

I moved within three hours. I was sleeping when they called and told me I had to be out by 3 (yeah, it was noon.. you'll get used to sleeping at random hours) so I literally threw all of my stuff into boxes and bags, put them in my truck, and went to an ATM to get cash. It was hectic, but so worth it!

It's awkward moving out when your ex-roommates are there, but don't let that stop you. It's better when you meet your new roommates and find that they are NORMAL. I (hopefully) lucked out with my new roommates; in any case, not many people could be as bad as my former roommates.. so in the end it's really up to you if you decide you want to move, but do what you NEED to do. If something or someone is interfering with your sleep, your health, or your sense of safety, then do something about it. And don't feel like all people at the CP are the same, because they're not.

And one more thing: they're your roommates. They don't have to be your friends, so don't freak out if you don't become instant BFFs.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the new apartment works out better for you Christine! :)
    And btw, I haven't forgotten about the coloring book party! hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete